Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wrapup and My Final Posting (For Now)

Since I have been busy with work related matters, I thought I would take this time now to wrap up a few things.

1. Pick of the Fringe

As always, I was somewhat on target.  I nailed Critic Pick and All Access Pick (and if you count listing Screw You Revue in the Producer's Pick, then I nailed that one as well).  Audience Pick is always the hardest one to figure out because it really depends on the audience's interest and willingness to vote for you.  I was somewhat surprised that Don't Cross the Steams did not win.  Oh well, there is always Indy Fringe for them to get that distinction.

My cast chose Screw You Review as our Artist Pick, so I was glad that they won for Producer's Pick.  I liked the show a lot, even though I was a butt of their jokes one too many times (I'm sorry, no one messes with my baseball cap.  No one.  Not even a guy dressed up as a dirty old man.)

2. Chris Dooley

Since I was not at the last performace, I learned that the actor who played Steve, our lead, (Chris Dooley) broke his arm the day before our last performance.  However, Chris was a trooper and did the last show, cast and all.  I wish him a speedy recovery.

On a more sarcastic note, all I have to say is that I leave the show early and my actors can't keep their limbs in check.  Who can figure out the riddle which is an actor?

3. The end of the world.

A question I had asked Chris in the set of interview questions which he could not get to was whether he believed the world was going to come to an end at the close of 2012--be it through a Zompocalypse or by some other means.  I thought I would answer that question myself, since it is an interesting question for all of us.

My answer is a firm YES and NO.

What I mean by that is that I do believe that we are heading into a time of great upheaval and turmoil that is coinciding with the close of 2012 and the end of the Mayan Calendar (which is supposed to signal the end of time).  I have had to think long and hard about the end of the world while writing and producing this play and what I feel is going to happen is as follows:

As a society, we have stretched ourselves in ways that make us vulnerable.  The ecological crisis with global warming and our wasting of natural resources, our failing financial system, the general malaise of a society which doesn't give a damn about addressing and correcting these problems, combined with our overdependence on fossil fuels and outside countries to supply us with what we need.  We are exposed and any one of these things could cause us to tumble into a worst position that we are in right now.  No Virginia, we will not die in a Zombie apocalypse, but we are not out of the woods.

My greatest fear with the coming end of the year is that our planet is supposed to come in allignment with the galactic center.  From some sources that I've read, that could theoretically expose us to deadly bursts of radiation which could obliterate all life on this planet.  Now this is a huge prediction, but what if some sort of minor radiation event were to occur and it caused a difficulty for growing conditions.  With our strained infastructure, we would be exposed to something I pray does not happen.

Now I am not going to be going into a bomb shelter come December 21, but I also realize that now is a good time to clear one's house for the change that lies ahead.  I take my cue from T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland--Should I at least set my lands in order?  Substitute lands for house and you have my position on the matter.

Sorry for the doom and gloom at the end of this blog.  It is just that I feel you my readers need a Hollywood ending.  We are not in Hollywood and I pray that all of this is just me being mildly paranoid (which I hope is the case).

Until next time, dear blog reader, I bid you adieu.

Alan

No comments:

Post a Comment